Monday, July 4, 2011

Introduction to Asian Dramas

Almost everyone knows what anime is by now. However, Asian dramas still remain a thing that typically only people addicted to them know about, aside from those who live in Asia. Even for those of us familiar with the world of Asian dramas, we can have difficulty defining this unique genre. It's one of those things that you have to experience to truly understand.

I discovered the world of Asian dramas when I was 15 and browsing on YouTube. I honestly cannot remember how on earth I stumbled upon my very first drama, Devil Beside You, but I did. Intrigued by something I had never seen before, I started with episode one with English subtitles of course.

As I watched Devil Beside You, I had to pause a few times to keep track of the subtitles. However, after watching about 5 dramas, I no longer had to pause and could keep up with everything.

To this day, Devil Beside You remains as one of my favorite dramas. If you have not watched it yet, you should.

The dramas I tend to watch the most are Korean and Taiwanese. I have watched some Japanese ones, though. Additional types of Asian dramas that are not as popular as Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese are Indian, Hong Kong, Vietnamese, Thai, and Filipino.

Even within the genre of Asian dramas, there are numerous genres, such as comedy, romance, action, historical, fantasy, horror, sports, mystery, medical, etc. There is something for everyone!

If you want to try watching an Asian drama, I would recommend watching Devil Beside You, You're Beautiful, Mary Stayed Out All Night, It Started With a Kiss, and My Princess. I will also cover many dramas on this blog along with feedback on each episode. If you are wondering where on earth to watch dramas with subtitles for free, watch for my new blog bost which will cover the top sites for watching dramas for free (and legally)!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great introduction. I find it hard sometimes explaining why I am hooked and you did it perfectly. Plus, every drama you listed I have watched and loved. Especially You're Beautiful and Mary Stayed Out all Night. But who wouldn't love anything with Jang Geun Suk? I even have all his songs downloaded on my phone (I sometimes feel like a crazed fan girl lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG don't get me started on Jang Geun Suk! It's unfair a guy can look that perfect! And when he smiles... I think I die. He even has a gorgeous voice! I've become addicted to the song Hello Hello. I feel a little bit crazy sometimes too with my drama addiction, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear he is the most adorable man on the planet. I am sometimes torn between jealously and sheer awe when he smiles.

    ReplyDelete